If there are two things I've learned the Midway ISD is really good at, it's getting the highest TAKS test scores and throwing excellent parties. And our school, Hewitt Elementary, is no exception. Only Emily has gotten rolled into the snowball that can only be described as TAKS-mania, where they hone in on teaching to the test about a year before the test time, but Benj will start getting hit next year.......and BOTH kids have had experience with the party factor. Yes, they have 'em working hard and playing hard at Hewitt. Now, I'm neither Em or Benj's official class room mom, but they let me help out a lot in both classes. And you have never, I mean never witnessed a sweet tooth extravaganza of these proportions. At the any given Christmas party one could find 2 or 3 different types of cupcakes, tons of cookies (storebought and homemade), candy in every variety, soda, juice, CapriSun, chips, dip, and any other variety of junk food you can imagine. Maybe it's the Foods with Minimal Nutrition law that should be blamed here, which states that the kids are only allowed sweets on three or four days of the year, during certain parties. But at these times, THEY do in fact GO NUTS! Here is some evidence of this year's mayhem:












It was reported that one child threw up after ingesting an entire container of icing. Several others reported belly aches of varying degrees, and there was an uncountable number of sugar rushes that were left to run amok.
What an excellent way to kick off Christmas break!!!

2 comments:
I agree that because of the strict no 'zero value nutrition' except, twice a year (Kindgergarten is 4 times a year) rule, they do go crazy. Brooklynn's room mom cheerfully blamed the parents because they are all so willing to bring treats and goodies it adds up to a mountain. I think its fun because the kids love it and work really hard between parties.
It's great having the parental support, no matter what form it comes in, and there's no doubt the faculty and staff agree. I just couldn't resist poking fun at the junk food mania! Hewitt rocks!
Post a Comment