Friday, January 18, 2008

Psycho Nicknamers Are We

Many families have fun little nicknames for each other. Some are loving, some are mean, but all are a part of what sets us apart as familiar, intimate units. Now, I must admit, our family may be a little crazy when it comes to these, which occurred to me when I sat down to chart the course of my children's nicknames through the years. At the risk of being discovered totally insane, I am sharing them with you.

Emily's nickname evolution:
Shmemily, Shmem, Shmemilika, Shmeem, Hashi-Shmeem, Hashmeem-Abdul-Waheen, Hashi, Thalidomide Hashi-Shmeem, Thal, Thally-Bird, T-Bird, Teebs.

Some aliases Benj has endured:
Benjameenie-Moonie, Beeja-Booja, Benjies-a-Benjies, Mees, Fella, Botch, Botulism, Beeeonj, Bug-um, Bench, Been Jamin', Benja-Meninja, Benjamin (pronounced Ben-ha-mEEn).

Joshie has answered to:
Joshie-Washie, Doll-face, Dah-shee, Ben-dah-she or Benjoshamin (also used on Benj), Cutie, Sweetie, and Little Joe-sh

And for those who may wonder, Tom has been Seeds (which has its own evolution) and I have been Moosh, for as long as either of us can remember.

6 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

I loved reading this post. Your family is so creative and fun!

Kleanteeth said...

Man, you are wierd. I only ever remember calling to Mish or Meshele. How did Tom get seeds? Isn't he the fertilizer?:)

Michele said...

Seeds is not anything suggestive like that, it's from an evolved name for Tommy, I just can't remember how it morphed into that....too many years....

Brandy said...

Those are interesting to say the least. Man, we're a boring family. I need to spice things up a bit. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure i take after you in the nickname department, moosh. and jeffrey has the disease as well. besides mom's nickname chain, i've christened all of my roommates and friends with their own and they stick, most of the time!

Emily said...

I feel very special for knowing where "Seeds" came from.

We need to run into you more often at HEB. Cali was talking about her new friend the whole shopping trip.