For years you try as a parent to prepare your kids for when they will have the chance to discuss things that have become precious to them. You hope the experience will build their budding testimonies and add a layer to the foundation you've tried to build. Still I was surprised at how much my heart filled up with pride when he told me this little story. I could tell he didn't think it was anything special because he didn't get that shy look he gets when he knows he's about to say something I'll go nuts over. What he told me was, he was walking laps at recess with two of his friends when they got into a discussion about baptism. He ended up walking with the boys for the the entire recess period, all of them unable to stop talking about what it meant to get baptized, how different churches use baptism differently, and how all our sins are washed away at baptism. I could just see Benj walking along but turning sideways to demonstrate the act of holding your nose, being immersed, and then coming out of the water. I could imagine the interest and surprise on the other boys' faces, and the curious, good-natured questions that followed. The discussion followed them back into the classroom where Benj shared his faith with his classmates and found out his teacher had been baptized as a baby. By this time, I felt glad I was driving, that he was way in the back and unable to see the tears in my eyes, and that just maybe he didn't hear the tremor in my voice when I asked, "and then what happened?" I got the feeling that his teacher helped him feel proud of the differences in his faith without making him feel that they were different and therefore wrong. It may have rocked the boat, I thought, if he had gotten a chance to tell them about the age of accountability or about how babies aren't born with Adam's sin and don't require baptism. Or most of all, how our concept of baptism comes directly from Christ's example; it's how He was baptized. As it was, it turned out to be a great missionary experience for him, one that I hope he remembers and builds on as he looks toward his full-time mission in a few years.Monday, February 11, 2008
A Missionary Moment for Benj
For years you try as a parent to prepare your kids for when they will have the chance to discuss things that have become precious to them. You hope the experience will build their budding testimonies and add a layer to the foundation you've tried to build. Still I was surprised at how much my heart filled up with pride when he told me this little story. I could tell he didn't think it was anything special because he didn't get that shy look he gets when he knows he's about to say something I'll go nuts over. What he told me was, he was walking laps at recess with two of his friends when they got into a discussion about baptism. He ended up walking with the boys for the the entire recess period, all of them unable to stop talking about what it meant to get baptized, how different churches use baptism differently, and how all our sins are washed away at baptism. I could just see Benj walking along but turning sideways to demonstrate the act of holding your nose, being immersed, and then coming out of the water. I could imagine the interest and surprise on the other boys' faces, and the curious, good-natured questions that followed. The discussion followed them back into the classroom where Benj shared his faith with his classmates and found out his teacher had been baptized as a baby. By this time, I felt glad I was driving, that he was way in the back and unable to see the tears in my eyes, and that just maybe he didn't hear the tremor in my voice when I asked, "and then what happened?" I got the feeling that his teacher helped him feel proud of the differences in his faith without making him feel that they were different and therefore wrong. It may have rocked the boat, I thought, if he had gotten a chance to tell them about the age of accountability or about how babies aren't born with Adam's sin and don't require baptism. Or most of all, how our concept of baptism comes directly from Christ's example; it's how He was baptized. As it was, it turned out to be a great missionary experience for him, one that I hope he remembers and builds on as he looks toward his full-time mission in a few years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
You got such great kids. What a great moment! Thanks for sharing.
What a great story. I loved him in our Primary class. I can tell that you're right about the post about your dad...Benj does seem to be that way and I don't REALLY know him that well. What a great kid!
Michele, Thanks for sharing this with us. A big reason for him being spiritual is because of the example you and Tom have set for him. He is a very special young man and we love him as we love you all. We look forward to seeing you all after we return and we look forward to seeing you in October. Love, Grandma & Grandpa Residori
Tell Benj were are very proud of him for sharing his beliefs. We look forward to attending his baptism next January or February. Sorry we have to write under anonymous. It's because otherwise it's all in Korean and none would be able to understand it. I love you all. Grandma "Story"
Post a Comment