Sunday, September 28, 2008

Josh's Eleventh Hour Talk and a Blessing

It was after 9:30 last night when I suddenly gasped, and the panic mode hit: "Oh, no Josh--you have a talk tomorrow!" Normally I like to start a week in advance with getting the boys' talks, and especially with Joshie, so they'll be good and familiar with them when it's time to give them in Primary.

I knew we weren't going to have that luxury this week.

After a full day of 3 soccer games, helping with an Eagle Scout project, and a pool party, the lost talk bracelet was discovered. Prayerfully I brought Josh into the computer room where we fashioned his little talk together. I felt blessed that he seemed alert and energetic, excited to get to stay up and help. I asked him a question and wrote down his response. He thought of the scripture story and personal experience on his own and I typed it just the way he told it. This morning, he read through it a few times in Sacrament Mtg., which had to suffice for practice time. When it was time for Primary, he got right up for his talk and I held the picture of the praying boy. While the delivery was fairly quiet, he got through the talk so smoothly and didn't get embarrassed about sharing his "stuff." Pretty rare for him. Even if not all the kids in Primary could hear, I am sure Heavenly Father heard his sweet message and is proud of him today. It's precious to see their little testimonies grow with every opportunity they have to share them.

Josh's talk on Answers to Prayers
9-28-08
When you need help with something, what can you do? Say a prayer. Why? Because the power of God will keep you safe. He has the power to help you. Just like the story of Nephi. When Nephi's brothers were trying to hurt him, God didn't let them. He let them get shocked when they tried to touch Nephi. Why did God help Nephi? Because Nephi was a good man and he had faith that God could help him.
How can we pray for help? Any kind of way. You can even pray when you've lost something important to you. One time, I lost a little toy car in our car. I looked for it for a while, but then I thought, "Hmm, I need to stop looking and say a prayer." I said a prayer and then I found it right away. It was under my seat!

I know God answers our prayers because He loves us. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

karin said...

That is such a great talk and I am really impressed that he said it so smoothly (I remember how shy he is).

Nicole said...

Michelle! I was excited to see that you have a blog..and also that your kids are getting so big! I remember my first talk in church, and I know it wasn't this good! :)

Andrea said...

Michele, we want to see pictures of you in Korea!!!