Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School is in Session at Midway--Hooray!


The inevitable has happened. Summer came to an abrupt end and school has begun. We have mixed feelings about it--I'm glad, and they're not. (I think they really are, secretly. They just think they have to play it cool.)
Josh started Kindergarten this year at Hewitt Elementary and Benjamin is in 2nd Grade there. They both thought their teachers were nice and I also had a good first impression of them. Emily started at Midway Intermediate School, or the 5th and 6th Grade Center. Her day was a little less smooth, a little less pleasant, as she had to try to find her classes, including a computer lab that was NOT conveniently located. She has to change classes nine times, more than we had to in high school. The bus was super crowded, leaving only room for her to sit on the edge of a seat, with feet turned to face the aisle.
All I can do is hope and pray for them each day. It won't hurt to stay involved in each of their classes, and their teachers can expect to see more of me than they probably want to this year. To calm their nerves the night before school, we had a special FHE where Tom gave each of them a very special father's blessing. We do this each year. They all enjoy this rare chance to hear their dad share some tender feelings and convey the blessings our Heavenly Father has for them. I always love it, too!

Here are their traditional pictures. Why must we always use the fireplace? Who knows? There's also one of the boys getting out of school and of me having a rest after sending them off. (This "rest" was largely fictitious and lasted about 10 minutes. But I had to do it for the effect.)

4 comments:

karin said...

Nine times!!! I only changed classes 6 times. Love the "rest" photo.

Andrea said...

What good looking students.
We have wondered the same thing about our photos and the fireplace.

Anonymous said...

Onward ever onward....and I mostly loved the fake, or rather quick, moment of repose. Nice touch...Oh and we use the entryway, but it is the same thing...it just draws us there.

Michele said...

I've given it some thought and decided we like the fireplace for pictures because most of the time it's the only clean area available!