Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Land of the Morning Calm

Korea, that is. So named because of the complete lack of wind or breeze during the early hours. It's so peaceful and, well, calm. If you're a meditator, have I got a place for you. I've put it off all week, documenting this once-in-a-lifetime adventure, because I just want to do it justice and I know I can't. Rifling through the pictures to narrow it down was torture. But now, without further ado.......
Kyong bok Palace is seen through the trees to its uppermost quarters. I loved this view with the flag. It may not look like much here, but it was breath-taking, believe me.
I just wanted to kneel on these cushions that the king and queen used to kneel on. But they wouldn't let me; there were ropes.

This pavilion and pool area were known as the Secret Garden, where the king and his family could go to be alone and spend some family time without disruption.
The subway was a big deal to me since I've never been on one. Since traffic is horrific in Seoul, many people choose the subway as their main transportation. I noticed a few rules: You can't look around, you must be either sleeping, using an electronic device, or standing with your face in someone's armpit. (Which wasn't bad because Koreans don't stink. They don't even have to wear deodorant.)

This park beside the mission home was beautiful. It's typical of all the greenery and classic Korean architecture you can see all over. We climbed some stairs to see this pavilion up close.
THE FOOD
Now, if you're my husband, you grew up traveling to new places with the main goal of sampling all the local food of the area, and bringing as much of it home with you as possible. Well, I didn't bring an extra suitcase for it or anything, but I did bring back some kim, (fried seaweed,) some Korean noodles, and some Machu, my favorite candy from Korea. The first real Korean meal I had was Bulgogi, a fatty, spicy meat that is grilled up and eaten with kim and rice, and of course, some kimchi (spicy fermented cabbage). I don't like fat on my meat, so I used my chopsticks to defat the meat, but my favorite part was the aloe juice. It tasted like honeydew melon juice with chunks and small stems in it. Sounds gross? Just think orange juice with pulp.

I couldn't resist snapping a shot of these fresh eels, knowing how much Benj loves sushi topped with eel. These ones smelled really nice...
Korean barbecue is done right at the table. You throw on this fatty meat, shrimp, duck (these rice-based soft tubes), and other things. There's a hundred little bowls of sauces, veggies, leaves, and of course, kimchi, at every meal.
Mom and Dad are on the right, with a Korean friend of theirs, and Elder Jones, a very cool (an super smart) missionary they worked with in the mission office.
Why are Koreans so skinny? Besides calling a cherry tomato dessert, they also have to work for their food, and it takes so long they burn off the calories they ate before. At Shabu-Shabu, they give you your own pan of broth and you put things in to season it; then you add a few rolls of meat, some greens, and dip it in sauce, then scarf it down. If it's too spicy, you chase it down with radishes or pickles or rice. Under that huge pile of greens (if you ever got through it) was a stack of noodles. But by then I was out of gas (and broth) and I burned my noodles. Such a foreigner.
SILLINESS
If you know me at all, you know I'm really just a hyperactive, big kid. So when I got to be a missionary for a day with a sister who didn't have a companion, and found out SHE was also a spaz, oh the joy. Of course, I may have inflicted the insanity on my mom as well. (Or maybe I just inherited it from her...)
Sister Choi and I were companions for the day, and on the right is a girl she brought into the church. It was not exactly a day of missionary work, but it was Sis. Choi's last day on the mission before returning home to CA. We had fun making it memorable.






When else would I get to dress up in the queen's hanbok, or traditional clothing? It was fun seeing this beautiful palace and getting to play dress-up, too.
More fun in the palace with my girls.

Mom and I were messing around before going to the iMax movie in the 63 building. We didn't go to the dinosaur museum, but I knew my dinosaur-loving boys would appreciate it.

I know I shouldn't have, but come on. If he had been allowed move a muscle, he would've rolled his eyes and said something about American tourists.




Dad and I are sporting the stylish robes they gave us at the Olympic Park Hotel. My favorite thing was running in Olympic Park in the morning and seeing all the pools and arenas where the games were held in 1988. The park is expansive, so of course, I got lost and ran about a mile and a half outside of the place, but no worries. All I had to do was look at a map with a confused face on and bam, Koreans stopped to help me every time. Even if they spoke almost no English. They're very kind, helpful people.

7 comments:

karin said...

Great photos. It is tough to pick out the "best" photos to help show off a trip. I think you did a great job, are there more coming?

Michele said...

I posted the first four as a test and added the others around midnight, with captions. I knew I should've waited to do them all at the same time, because my favorite stuff is last. ;)

J & M Shumate Family said...

Wow...looks like a super fun trip!! Did you even miss your kids???? j/k

The Collingwood Family said...

WoW!!!! How fun! I'm glad you got to go - I enjoyed all the pictures and explanations. They were very interesting!

Larry said...

Loved the pictures and loved having you with us for a couple of weeks. Hope all is well at home. Love, Mom & Dad

Hudson Family said...

I loved this post about Korea! The food looked so amazing, and I felt real jealously for a minute. :0) I am so happy that you got to have this experience. I would love to visit there someday.

Andrea said...

I want to go to Korea. I'm so glad you took the opportunity while your parents were there. Could be 'once in a lifetime.'
Love all the pictures and stories.