
A calm Sunday night seemed as a good a time as any. My ten-year-old looked up with half-interest when I asked if we could talk for a minute. I went on to ask if she knew what sex was. She hollered, "Nooo!" Well, would she like to know about it? (Sure, I hated asking, but I had no idea how much she was going to hate my asking.) There was a pause. She sighed loudly when she could tell I wasn't done with the subject. I was just wondering, I said, because she has lots of friends around who are boys, who may talk........ This was about enough for her. She said, "We don't talk about it, Mom! I don't even want to hear about it, it's too embarassing!"
And that was it--the sex talk that wasn't.
I guess I've been dillusional, because I thought that I had a kid who could talk with me about anything. Then again, I'd never brought up the "S" word before and thought she may be a little curious. Most kids are somewhat curious, aren't they? I had it told to me by a fellow kindergartener, and I, in turn, came home and educated my 3-year-old sister who, of course, had to verify it with our parents. Am I crazy that I don't want her to hear it "on the streets" from questionable sources and then be ashamed to come to me for the truth? Help!

3 comments:
I have been thinking of how the "talk" will go too and it is not playing out very smoothly in my head. I think you were right and now in the future if she gets curious she will come to you, hopefully.
I think Emily's reaction just goes to show you what a down to earth girl you have. One that probably tunes out anything she hears at school that would be against her standards and makes her own little bubble...I was one of those. She just wanted you to leave her little bubble of innocence alone. Don't worry when she's ready she'll probably come to you for answers, especially now that she knows you're willing to talk to her about it.
Good luck. I agree with Kirsten, At least now Emily knows you're willing to talk to her about it. My mom is a school nurse, so we had several talks about "it." I'm pretty sure I'm going to have her give my girls the talk when they are old enough.
Post a Comment